Disclaimer: Please note, we do not publish sponsored posts. However, our posts do contain affiliate links, where we may be compensated for any purchases you make. This does not affect the price you pay. Thanks for supporting our site! 🙂
When you think of smart home devices, most people imagine decking out their living rooms and kitchens, and beefing up their security.
But what about the bedroom?
Is there a way to turn your sleep sanctuary into a smart bedroom?
Yes, there definitely is.
Smart bedroom gadgets are really coming into their own in 2017, promising to help you sleep sounder and relax better.
We’ve rounded up a guide to the best of them here.
Let’s dive in…
- 1 Smart Mattress
- 2 Smart Pillows
- 3 Smart Bed Temperature Control
- 4 Smart Sleep Headphones
- 5 Smart Air Quality Control
- 6 Smart Lighting
- 7 Sleep Trackers
- 8 Smart Alarm Clocks
- 9 E-Readers
Probably the most effective out of all these smart bedroom gadgets is the smart mattress.
While on the pricier end of the spectrum, these products usually offer a bundle of smart features in their single package. They can usually do the following:
- Track your sleep patterns
- Adjust temperature and comfort levels to your preferences
- Acts as a smart alarm
Here are the best smart mattresses of 2017:
The ReST Bed is definitely the mattress to invest in if you want customizable support that automatically adjusts to your needs and preferences.
The bed is divided into 5 ‘zones’, each of which corresponds to a certain body part. Once you connect to the app, you can customize the level of support you need for each individual zone.
The firmness levels of the mattress will also automatically adjust to you, thanks to the patented fabric that monitors and reacts to your shape and pressure.
Here’s what you can expect from the ReST Smart Bed:
- Collects and reports on your sleep data
- Monitors your shape and pressure, automatically adjusting firmness in real time to your changing position
- You can operate the bed in automatic or manual modes
- Monitors almost 2,000 individual pressure points
- Allows you to customize the support you need for individual areas of your body
- Available in two configurations: for athletic performance and for back pain
- Material construction includes cooling gel-infused memory foam
- 10 year warranty
Here’s a handy video showing the ReST Bed in action:
While it doesn’t have the same zonal customizable support, there’s no doubting the fact that it’s an incredibly comfortable and supportive 4-layer mattress that provides dynamic contouring.
Here’s what else it offers:
- Monitors and records your sleep data, providing nightly, weekly and monthly trends
- Warms the bed to your desired temperature
- Can warm each side independently
- Can set a warming schedule to have it ready before you jump into bed
- Can be connected to other smart devices
- Smart alarm will wake you during your lightest sleep stage
- Bounces like latex yet feels like foam
- Works with a mobile app
You can read a full and balanced review of the Eight Smart Mattress here.
Much like the ReST Bed, the Kingsdown Sleep Smart’s main selling point is that it offers personalized adjustable support.
It’s been made with IntelliMax technology that allows independently controlled lumbar support for each side, as well as three ‘zones’. Performance fabric also ensures that there’s no heat build-up making you hot and sweaty.
Here’s what to expect:
- 3 support zones on each side of the mattress
- Zones can be controlled via the app
- Lumbar support for each side can be independently adjusted
- Performance fabric regulates mattress temperature and wicks away moisture
- The IntelliMax Power Base has anti-snore and zero gravity settings
This smart mattress is another product that automatically senses your movements, then works to adjust firmness and support levels in reaction to that.
Both sides of the bed are able to set their ideal firmness level independently via the app, and the bed’s Responsive Air technology will work to put that in place for you.
It will also pre-warm the foot area of the bed for you to lull you into a sound sleep.
Here’s what else you can expect:
- Both sides can be raised independently to prevent snoring
- Monitors and records your sleep data, giving you a SleepIQ score every morning
- Automatically adjusts comfort, support and firmness levels on both sides
- Available in 2 configurations: the i7 (memory foam) and the i10 (cool foam)
- Warms your feet
If you want to start introducing smart devices into your bedroom but don’t want the large expense of a smart mattress, you should start small with a pillow instead.
Smart pillows are very much an emerging market — if you Google them, you’ll come across plenty of Kickstarter campaigns for them!
There are a few worth looking into on the market this year already. Try these on for size…
This is the Big Daddy of smart pillows with an array of amazing features:
- Prevents snoring by gently vibrating you into a new sleep position (without waking you!)
- Tracks sleep and gives you a SleepScore the next morning
- Smart alarm will wake you at the optimal point in your sleep cycle
- Wirelessly streams music and audio without disturbing your partner
- Regulates temperature and wicks away moisture
- Connects with Amazon Echo to deliver sleep reports
OK, so this one technically isn’t a pillow — but it’s a good budget option to add to your existing pillow.
The Oittm Smart Pillow Mat is designed to sit either over or under your pillow case thanks to its ultra slim and safe design.
Here’s what it offers:
- Sleep tracking with a micro movement sensor
- Smart alarm that will wake you in the lightest sleep phase
- Plays music without disturbing your partner
- Needs no batteries or additional power
Plus, it’s available for a really low price!
If you’re a snorer or you suffer from sleep apnea, you may want to look into the revolutionary Smart Anti-Snore Pillow.
Its major feature is the patented horizontal shifting motion that is designed to shift the throat gently from side to side, causing the muscles there to contract and therefore stopping you snoring by increasing your airflow.
Not only does it prevent snoring on a night-by-night basis, it also has an important long-term effect — it strengthens your throat muscles over time, decreasing your chances of snoring in the future.
The pillow starts the shifting motion thanks to the special sound activation. After four loud snores, the shifting is activated.
Here’s a video explaining how it works:
There’s no sleep tracking or smart alarm capabilities with this pillow, but it may appeal to people who like the therapeutic quality of listening to music as they sleep.
Plus, it’s super comfortable thanks to the ergonomic design and breathable materials.
Smart Bed Temperature Control
One of the major factors that decides how quickly and easily we get to sleep — plus how soundly we sleep — is the temperature of our mattress.
Most of us are like Goldilocks when it comes to bed temperature — not too hot or too cold, please! (Although it’s generally agreed that a slightly cool climate is best for sound sleep).
Thankfully, there are a few products on the market that allow you to set your mattress to your desired temperature before you go to sleep. And, as an added bonus, they allow you to set different sides of the bed at different temperatures — great if your partner likes an oven when you prefer it cool and crisp!
The most famous of the smart bed temperature control products — and the one that self-improvement master Tim Ferriss recommends — is the ChiliPad Cube.
It’s a mattress pad that adjusts the surface temperature of your mattress by circulating water through a network of microtubes.
You can choose either the Single Zone version if you sleep alone, or the Dual Zone version if you prefer having two different temperatures on each side of the bed.
You can adjust and monitor the temperatures using the Bluetooth app, and can even choose from specialist modes like ‘night sweat management’ and ‘aromatherapy diffuser’.
Unlike the ChiliPad that uses water, the BedJet V2 is powered by a ventilating fan and heated air to find your best sleeping temperature.
It’s also available in either single or dual zone.
Smart Sleep Headphones
If you like to listen to music or another audio as you drift off to sleep, you really should be using sleep headphones.
Is there anything worse than falling asleep only to wake up shortly after entangled in wires? HELL no.
The next step up from sleep headphones is something a little more sophisticated — smart sleep headphones.
This is still very much an emerging market, but there’s a few cool products that we’ve been testing recently…
Still only available for pre-order, the product on every sleep hacker’s lips right now is the Kokoon smart headphones — the world’s first sleep sensing headphones.
As with so many smart home devices nowadays, Kokoon started its life on Kickstarter and are currently being lined up for shipping as we speak.
Here are a few of the features it boasts:
- Intelligent sleep monitoring by integrated EEG sensors
- Smart sleep scoring every morning
- Smart alarm that wakes you in your lightest sleep phase
- Made from patented Flexmould comfort and natural fabrics
- Active noise cancellation and isolation
- Active white noise
- 15 hours continuous playback with high clarity sound
- Audio quietens as you fall asleep and reacts to the sound around you
They proclaim they’re the world’s most comfortable headphones for sleeping, and actually contain super thin removable speakers that allow you to play any music or audio when you sync or stream from a Bluetooth enabled device.
While unfortunately they can’t monitor your sleep yet, they’re probably the most comfortable sleeping accessories that also double up as a sleeping mask if you so desire.
They also promise to reduce outside noise — even snoring.
OK… we’re going a little bit out of left field here, but we think this a fantastic product for anyone interested in lucid dreaming — a dream in which you’re aware that you’re dreaming and are able to control it to some degree.
The Aurora Dreamband has been designed to enhance dreaming in REM sleep by gently notifying you that you’re dreaming at optimal points in your sleep cycle with the use of two high-fidelity full color LED lights. This will encourage your dream recall as well as the clarity of your dreams.
It’s also equipped with a smart alarm, and can be connected to the Internet of Things.
It’s available to pre-order now.
Smart Air Quality Control
When it comes to making your bedroom the most relaxing and healthy environment it can be, you need to start with the fundamentals.
Air quality and temperature.
If the air quality is low, you’ll find it harder to breathe and your allergies triggered. Likewise, if it’s too hot or too cold, you’ll be uncomfortable, sweating or shivering. None of this adds up to a good night’s sleep.
Luckily, there’s more than a handful of smart devices on the market this year to help you create the optimal environment in your bedroom — usually by allowing you to automatically adjust the temperature and humidity levels.
Let’s take a look at the best of them.
In our opinion, this is the best smart bedroom device of 2017.
WiFi enabled, it automatically monitors the air quality, temperature and humidity levels in your room and reacts to it — while sending you real-time reports and allowing you to remotely control the device from your smartphone.
It’s a 3-in-1 beauty: air purifier, fan cooler and heater.
Check out its stand-out features:
- HEPA filtration removes 99.97% of allergens and pollutants
- Active carbon layer neutralizes odors and toxins
- Dyson Link app provides real-time quality reports and allows you to control machine
- Jet Focus Control for focused airflow
- Sleep timer and night time mode so it won’t disturb you during sleep
- Can be voice controlled via Amazon Echo
If you’re looking for something cheaper than the Dyson that simply monitors the air quality in your bedroom and can be connected to your other smart devices, then look no further than the Awair.
It’s an expert tracker, able to monitor levels of the following:
It will give you personalized tips about how to set these levels in your room automatically, and also connects to Nest, Alexa and IFTTT so you can adjust your devices as you see fit.
If you’ve got allergies or are simply concerned about breathing the best quality air possible, then you’ll want to get the Awair.
You can control it via the WeMo app to check the air quality in the room, receive alerts and adjust the settings — regardless of where you are. You can program operations for up to 7 days at a time.
Just like the Dyson, the HEPA filter is able to remove 99.97% of airborne allergens, and it comes equipped with a couple of carbon features to boot.
Slightly different to the other products in this section, the Quirky Aros is a smart air conditioner — ideal for people who know their bedroom needs AC cooling, but would like a system that’s reactive and intuitive, as well as easy to monitor.
Here’s what it offers:
- Allows you to schedule cooling patterns for the week via the app
- Learns from your patterns on when to cool and when not to
- Turns on and off according to your location
- Tracks your usage, allowing you to adjust settings and save on energy costs
- Upward airflow for increased circulation
Smart lighting systems have long been one of the biggest success stories of the smart home.
Just like everything else in the Internet of Things, smart bulbs can be operated via an app on your smartphone and can be easily adjusted for ambience and energy saving purposes.
Here are a few of our favorites to test out:
There are a number of different products within the Philips Hue smart lighting system, each as intelligent and useful as the last. They all operate with Amazon Alexa for brilliant voice control.
It’s seriously no wonder that it’s so popular.
Take a look at these for starters:
These soft white bulbs can be controlled remotely wherever you are — you can set timers and schedules if you want the lights to be on when you come home, if you want to wake up at a certain time, or if you want them on while you’re out of town.
All is controlled via the Hue app and you can also voice control them with Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit and Google Assistant.
They fit both standard table lamps and the Philips Hue Bridge (included), which can control up to 50 lights around your home at once.
Whether you want a sexy glow in the evening, or bright and zesty in the morning, you can accomplish it with this bulb.
It can fit either a standard table lamp, or you can pair it with the Philips Hue Bridge to link it up to the rest of your home’s lighting system.
Just like the other Philips Hue products, you’ll need to connect it to a Hue Bridge to control it remotely and connect it to your other smart devices.
As well as white, this has millions of color shades at your disposal.
Aumi is a smart nightlight that got its first beginnings on Kickstarter.
Like with all smart bedroom gadgets, Aumi can be controlled via your phone. Here are the settings you can adjust:
- Color — over 16 million different options!
- Timer function for turning off, dimming, turning on and brightening
- Motion activation
It’s also a very good looking device that will fit in well to any bedrooms, particularly thanks to its folding power prongs and the way it sits flat against any surface.
MOVE is a little bit different than the other lighting systems we’ve discussed above — but we think it’s a very cool addition to bedrooms with blinds and shades.
Essentially, it’s a Bluetooth controlled motor for your blinds and shades that you can power automatically from your smartphones. You can also set a schedule, or automations based on the movement of the sun.
It can be retrofitted to all blinds and shades with cord reels, bead chains with connectors and continuous cord loops. The motor can be powered with your choice of either rechargeable batteries, micro USB, solar panel or AC power pack.
Whether you’re a sleep hacker dedicated to getting the best night’s sleep possible, or you’re simply interested to know your sleep habits so you can improve them, sleep tracking is a very useful measure.
The most accurate sleep tracking is done under laboratory conditions, which will see you strapped up to EEG and heart monitors at the very least.
When it comes to daily sleep tracking at home in your bed, you’re simply not going to be able to do that.
Here’s where wearable sleep trackers come in.
Fitbits and comparable wearables will be able to track your sleep by measuring your heart rate, motion and even sound as you sleep. While it’s not quite as accurate as being hooked up in a lab, you should be able to get a pretty good picture of your sleep health this way.
Let’s take a look at the best of them…
While all of the Fitbit wearables offer some degree of sleep tracking, we think the Charge 2 is the best of them — it’s not too cumbersome to wear every night to bed and offers some great, detailed sleep reports every morning.
Plus, you know, all of the other fitness tracking benefits of a Fitbit.
Here’s what it offers:
- PurePulse continual heat trate tracking
- Guided breathing sessions for relaxation
- Automatic sleep tracking
- Daily sleep reports that include time spent in different sleep stages and benchmarking
- Up to 5 days battery life
- Syncs wirelessly with Fitbit app
Unlike the Fitbit, the Withings Aura isn’t a wearable — it’s a smart sleep system.
The advanced sleep sensor is placed under your mattress, from where it will monitor your heart rate, breathing cycles and body movements to providing detailed sleep stage tracking.
It also features the following:
- Smart alarm that wakes you in the lightest part of your sleep cycle
- Smart wake up light
- Relaxing sunset lighting
- Specialized nap and relaxation programs
- Lamp analyzes sound, temperature and light levels throughout the night, and records
- Touch sensitive interface
Similar to the Withings sleep system above, the Emfit QS is another non-wearable sleep tracker that is easily slotted under your mattress.
It’s supposedly very popular with professional athletes, which we think is due to the hyper detailed reports it delivers and its analysis of 360 day long term trends.
It tracks the following:
- REM, deep and light sleep stages
- Heart rate
- Breathing rate
- ANS balance
- HRV activity
It’s powered by WiFi so doesn’t require a separate app download.
Smart Alarm Clocks
Many of the products we’ve reviewed so far already have smart alarm clock capability embedded in them.
But, just in case you want a stand alone smart alarm — or you can’t face faffing around with a sleep tracker before you go to bed — we’ve assembled a few interesting products for you.
As well as the alarm feature itself, it sports the following features:
- Auto time sync via the app
- White noise generator
- Sunrise simulating wake-up light
- 2 USB charging ports
- 2 Bluetooth speakers
- Spotify integration
- 3 customizable buttons to allow it to interact with other smart home devices — like temperature and coffee machine control!
Wakē is another smart alarm clock, which started its life on Kickstarter. It’s currently available for pre-order.
Just like the WITTI BEDDI above, it offers targeted simulated sunrise with lights and sounds to wake you up gently — and just you, not your partner.
Plus, it looks pretty damn cool.
It can simulate both sunset and sunrise, relaxing and readying you for the day ahead.
Here are its stand-out features:
- Dimming sunset lights and sounds
- Colored sunrise simulation with natural light and 5 calming wake up sounds
- Tap to snooze
- FM radio
- 10 brightness settings so can be used as a bedside reading light
- Cool to touch so safe for kids
- No assembly required
Kindles are such a mainstay of our entertainment habits in 2017 that we actually forget that they’re smart devices in and of themselves.
We like to think of them as smart bookshelves, where we can store a huge amount of books, buy even more books and have books recommended to us according to our established tastes and interests.
As so many people like to read in the bedroom, we’ve decided to include a couple of our favorite e-readers to help you do exactly that.
And it’s perfect for reading in bed.
Here are its best features:
- Adaptive built-in light that will automatically adjust according to natural light levels
- High resolution display (300 ppi)
- PagePress allows you to turn pages without lifting a finger using haptic sensors
- Weeks-long battery life
- Super thin and lightweight
- Glare free screen
If you’ve got a little bit more money to burn, you might want to consider the sophisticated Kindle Oasis — the thinnest and lightest of all the Kindles.
Here’s what else it has going for it:
- Ergonomic design with buttons for page turning
- Longest Kindle battery life
- Included leather charging cover
- High resolution 300 ppi display
- Built-in adjustable light
- Thinnest and lightest Kindle
And here we have another great Kindle that’s a bit kinder to your wallet than the Oasis and the Voyage.
While it doesn’t have quite the same bells and whistles as the other two, it’s still an excellent e-reader that will be perfect to bring to bed with you.
Here’s what it’s got going on:
- High resolution display 300 ppi
- Built-in adjustable light
- No screen glare
- Weeks-long battery charge
- Super readable Bookerly font
And there you have it — the best smart bedroom gadgets of 2017!
What’s your favorite smart bedroom device?